Since 2013, our neighbor Barron Elementary has been an integral part of our Social Action and outreach efforts. Over the years, many volunteers have offered their time and energy to help out, and the opportunity to make a positive impact is great. According to the 2016-2017 Texas Academic Performance Report, 86% of Barron’s students are “economically disadvantaged,” which is defined as being eligible for free or reduced lunch or other public assistance. About 65% of students are considered “at-risk.”
How do we help?
Volunteers from CUUC work directly with students and teachers in many ways:
- Tutoring individual pupils
- Mentoring students who need extra help
- Working in the school library
- Serving as teacher resource room helpers: printing, cutting, and gathering classroom educational tools
- Assisting at special school events, like their Fall Festival
- Serving as field trip chaperones and camp counselors
Each year we also collect specific health and school supplies to donate to Barron. Teachers ordinarily pay for these needed classroom supplies out of their own pocket. We also are glad to deliver your box tops to Barron.
If you would like to volunteer at Barron, please be advised you need to be cleared by the Plano Independent School District first.
To learn more about how you can help, or to get involved, please contact coordinator Anne Smith via the Social Action Committee at email@example.com.